Jeep > Wheeling and get togethers

Here is why it pays to go prepared

<< < (3/5) > >>

RioGrande95:

--- Quote from: 2drLJ on May 28, 2008, 12:48:55 PM ---Getting vehicle "A" up with winching and anchoring from rescue vehicle B to a tree or something ... Under the original "stated" plan in a bad situation you could have possibly lost both vehicles.. and more people....
--- End quote ---

Few years back NorCal and I were out playing in the mud and there was a really steep hill covered with the gooiest mud I've ever seen, it was pooring down rain and streams were forming in the ruts on the trail.  Unfrotunately we went down this dead end road before the rains started, and going up this hill was the only way for us to get home. 

Norcal winched his way up to the top and turned around to winch me up the hill.  We made it about half way up when my Jeep stopped moving. His Jeep had lost traction and started to slowly slide off the top of the hill toward me.  NorCal was frantically trying to spool out his winch line out so my co-pilot could unhook me. Unfortunately I didn't have enough traction to hold my ground let alone move forward.  We couldn't unhook the Jeeps and we continued sliding down the hill.  Meanwhile NorCal's co-pilot was somehow able able to jump out and tie off NorCal's Jeep to a tree just before NorCal hit the steep and gooey part of the hill.

Scared the crap out of us, but luckily no one was hurt and no Jeeps were damaged.  Guess it's one of the Jeep'n lessons I've learned the hard way.

dustdriver:
My condolences to those involved.  Any one of us could easily find ourselves in a similar situation someday, if you haven't already.

--- Quote ---"The tow rope broke and the Jeep rolled 75 to 100 feet down the mountainside."
--- End quote ---

Accidents like that are exactly what made me start this thread awhile back, but I'm not sure how much effect it had:

Vehicle Recovery

It would be interesting to know what kind of strap was used, and what kind of condition it was in.  Know your gear folks.

--- Quote ---"It does not appear he was wearing a seat belt."
--- End quote ---

'nuf said

kizer:
Yeah DustDrivers thread needs to be stickied.

06rubiconunlimited:
when i was in the army I went to recovery school and spent 6 weeks playing in the mud getting stuck and then recovering (from Humvee to full size tank) and the one thing that was always stressed besides safety was anchor and always make sure your recovery system is over qualified for the task. and we always put a safety line that could hold the weight and then used a system whether it be strait winch or block and tackle that was twice as much as needed. when your dealing with 90Klbs winches and 63 ton tanks or a Humvee and block and tackle and manually pulling always the rules where the same.

Outdoors:

--- Quote from: dustdriver on May 28, 2008, 02:49:57 PM ---My condolences to those involved.  Any one of us could easily find ourselves in a similar situation someday, if you haven't already.

--- Quote ---"The tow rope broke and the Jeep rolled 75 to 100 feet down the mountainside."
--- End quote ---

Accidents like that are exactly what made me start this thread awhile back, but I'm not sure how much effect it had:

Vehicle Recovery

It would be interesting to know what kind of strap was used, and what kind of condition it was in.  Know your gear folks.

--- Quote ---"It does not appear he was wearing a seat belt."
--- End quote ---

'nuf said

--- End quote ---

A quick update.. from what I'm hearing it was a chain that broke not a strap...
And reguarding him not being seat belted?
I have problem which could be consiidered a MAJOR flaw in imo on my 2005 don't know about the rest of you guys with different year jeeps. I cannot pull down the seat belt myself in my seat if Ive unbuckled and want to re-buckle at any kind of angle or off camber.. This has happened to me three different times already. I'm thinking the seat belt restraint system is designed not to release tension when the vehicle is at these angles.. So there is a possibility that could have happened. Either case I was not there but only stating my issues where I have been un buckled and why.. But in those situations "so far" I did not feel it was life threatening... Concerned about the future though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version