Jeep > Wheeling and get togethers

Here is why it pays to go prepared

<< < (4/5) > >>

Drake69:
Uhh oh. Story's no longer at that link. If you find it again, repost it HERE so that it won't get lost and everybody can read it.

RioGrande95:

--- Quote from: 2drLJ on May 30, 2008, 10:09:07 PM ---I cannot pull down the seat belt myself in my seat if Ive unbuckled and want to re-buckle at any kind of angle or off camber... I'm thinking the seat belt restraint system is designed not to release tension when the vehicle is at these angles.. So there is a possibility that could have happened.
--- End quote ---

That's exactly how my YJ is.  The stock seat belt is constantly locking up on me, and if I'm off camber, or have my foot on the brake, once I take the seat belt off, I can't put it back on.  I installed a set of lap belts to get around this.  They offer better freedom of movement while Jeep'n, and because they do not auto tighten, I can always take them on or off no matter what.  May not be as safe as a full 3 point harness, but much preferable to no seat belt at all.

My $0.02
Rio

IBTJn:

--- Quote from: Drake69 on May 31, 2008, 03:12:52 AM ---Uhh oh. Story's no longer at that link. If you find it again, repost it HERE so that it won't get lost and everybody can read it.

--- End quote ---

Dag nabbit!  I wonder why they removed it?  I knew I should have copied and pasted it all (except maybe the name).   >:(

I'll take a look around their site when I can and see what I can find.

dustdriver:
Yeah I've had the same thing happen to my seat belt.  And yes, there are times that I simply choose not to wear one and accept the risk.  But in either case I still ask myself, "OK, what will the consequences be if I roll here without a seat belt?"  If the risks are too high, then it's time to rethink what I'm doing, and then do whatever it takes to try and correct the situation to make it safer.  If that means I have to find a flat spot to get the belt to work, fine.  If that means I have to get out of the rig and stay out, so be it- I'll let it roll down the damn cliff without me, or walk out and call a tow truck.

Safety usually comes down to attitude and preparedness.  You need to consider the worst-case scenario instead of assuming that it's going to go the way you want it to.  If you truly do that, then your gear, your methods, and your decisions will reflect it.  Ask yourself next time:  "What is the worst that can happen here?"  Then come up with a plan.  (Not the other way around.)

We may never know what happened or why, or what decisions the people involved may have made differently if they knew what was going to happen ahead of time.  I'm not trying to second guess this incident, I'm just taking it at face value and trying to learn from it to maybe prevent a similar tragedy from happening to me or one of my wheelin buddies.

Los:

--- Quote from: IBTJn on May 31, 2008, 08:11:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: Drake69 on May 31, 2008, 03:12:52 AM ---Uhh oh. Story's no longer at that link. If you find it again, repost it HERE so that it won't get lost and everybody can read it.

--- End quote ---

Dag nabbit!  I wonder why they removed it?  I knew I should have copied and pasted it all (except maybe the name).   >:(

I'll take a look around their site when I can and see what I can find.

--- End quote ---

search for Jeep and you'll find the story....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version