Jeep > Wheeling and get togethers

Here is why it pays to go prepared

<< < (2/5) > >>

Fireman:
I'm guessing the strap wasn't what most of us would consider a 'recovery strap'...and...in a situation like that, working where i do, and experiences i have with climbing and tech rescue stuff....if you had a jeep that far in need of help -- i agree with kercher, that multiple systems and fail-safes along with redundant safeties would be a no-brainer...ie.) multiple straps, multiple anchor points, etc. 

sadly, many people don't think thoroughly all that often...and unfortunately, that's what creates great job security for me.

I'd sure like to think we would handle that situation differently.

kizer:
As well as the strap you have to double think the connection point on the vehicle. If its a weak mount then the chances are it could fail as well. Its one thing to do a pull on flat ground, but when your dangling for life like a fish on a poll its totally different.

Outdoors:
The information below does "not" reflect my thoughts on the situation that happened with this person passing... Since I was not there, I will not comment directly about it, Other then to say I am sorry for everyone concerned. And especially the families too.

Getting vehicle "A" up with winching and anchoring from rescue vehicle B to a tree or something and having a second winching rescue vehicle C also anchored to a tree with cable tension in a different location on vehicle "A"  would be a better solution...
Under the original "stated" plan in a bad situation you could have possibly lost both vehicles.. and more people..
I really think vehicles in danger and in a life threatening situation should usually be UN manned..
As stated earlier, Things can change awful quick from fine to life threatening as well...

With that said "I was not there and I can only applaud everyone's there efforts in trying to save him"...
Again my condolences to those who knew him, His spirit lives on and will always be remembered for those that loved him.. That is the solace I offer..

s2j:
The importance of inspecting you rigging before use is hard to convey to people who haven't worked with heavy loads. This has been a part of my awareness for many years you can not trust any man made strap/cable and especially chain or rope.Kizer the straps that I gave you are rated far more than the cable on an 8k winch,But if any red thread shows the strap strength is compromised. If anybody would like rigging charts or more info let me know and maybe start a thread

Outdoors:

--- Quote from: s2j on May 28, 2008, 01:10:35 PM ---The importance of inspecting you rigging before use is hard to convey to people who haven't worked with heavy loads. This has been a part of my awareness for many years you can not trust any man made strap/cable and especially chain or rope.Kizer the straps that I gave you are rated far more than the cable on an 8k winch,But if any red thread shows the strap strength is compromised. If anybody would like rigging charts or more info let me know and maybe start a thread

--- End quote ---
Very good points too.. also strap ratings are very confusing even to me and they are rated sometimes for different purposes too, I have an actual towing strap rated to 30,000 lbs I believe.. that does not mean I can tow 30,000 lbs. I want the stretch given as it is built into this strap.. I also have 3" thick straps that serve other purposes as well, including my tree strap which is different. I buy locally from a rigging out fit, And I would recommend buying these items from someone like Steve here too with his above comments... I will call you before the July run too.;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version