Advertise  |  Contact Us  |  Forum  |  Members Rigs   |  Links  |  Support L4J  |  Write-Ups
Links

Author Topic: YJ brake system upgrade...'95 in a '93  (Read 46835 times) Share

• Fireman

• Wrencher
    YJ brake system upgrade...'95 in a '93
    « on: April 20, 2009, 11:00:32 PM »
    I'll start at the beginning I guess...

This all came from a short, unexpected, unstoppable decent from a good friend's steep driveway in Longview :) when I was leaving one day.  I found that my brakes physically couldn't stop me from moving with some momentum...and it just had been getting worse and worse.  I was looking for some good solutions for brakes -- and ultimately, after some research and a phone call to Van from VanCo brakes, I was given an idea.  Van gave me some good options with his vacuum booster, hydrobooster or their Big Brake Kit.  These of course are great products...and their reputation is very well deserved.  Everybody I talked to has had really nothing but good stuff to say about the big brake kits and so on.  But what he did tell me...was a less expensive alternative that would accomplish what I was looking for. 

My 1993 YJ has a single diaphragm vacuum booster.  In 1995 -- for one year with the YJ's -- they went to a double diaphram vacuum booster.  The master cylinder's were close -- one is a 15/16" master cylinder and the '95 is a 1".  The vacuum booster of course just adds braking power to the braking system -- and the double diaphram vac booster found on the '95 YJ gives a significant greater braking ability. 

Part of the allure for this swap was the fact that essentially you can remove the entire mount/vac booster/master cylinder and reservoir assembly and replace it with the entire assembly from a '95 and it's "plug and play".  Mounting holes are the same although the physical mounts are different.  I got my entire assembly used for $100.  Included mounting bracket, vac booster, master cylinder, and proportioning valve.  Here's where we started:

Here is a couple of side by side comparison's of the two.  My stock assembly is on the right, the '95 assembly is on the left.  Notice the size difference between the vacuum canisters and the TJ style reservoir and master cylinder on the '95. 

here are the mounts for the assembly..

notice that the arms that go through the firewall and hookup to the brake pedal are identical in length, shape and so forth. 

Here is a picture from under and inside the firewall.  You can see the hole the plunger passes through and attaches to the brake pedal on the stud...and my partner in crime monitoring my ramblings from the engine compartment.  :)

Here's a picture of the clip that has attaches the plunger to the brake pedal.  Don't lose it.  :)  It just slips off with the help of a little leverage from a set of needle nose pliers or a flat screwdriver.

The most difficult part was getting the brake fluid lines from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve.  We decided to use my stock proportioning valve instead of the '95 because mine was in almost perfect shape.  The problem arose when we discovered there was ever so slight differences in the threads and such in both the m/c and p/v.  We ended up having to get a couple of adapters and two 8" lines that Tim bent perfectly.  I'll try and retrieve the part numbers for both the adapters and tubing from receipts...but we got into stuff so fast we threw tags and labels with that info.  Here is a picture of the adapters and the bent tubing.  Strong work Tim..

And...wa-la.  One last comparison....

BEFORE --

AND AFTER. 

Much special thanks has to go out to my buddy Tim who helped me with this.  I think the quality of work was excellent because of his efforts and the results were, well...frickin' awesome.  See ya on the trail!

-- Mike

EDIT*****

I found the receipt with the part numbers for the tubing and one of the adapters we used on the master cylinder.

From National Auto Parts, here is the #'s...

EDE318STA  -- Brake Line  $2.60
    EDE338STA  -- Brake Line  $2.60
    EDE271300  --  Brake fitting

The other fitting off the top of my head was like 265000...i'll have to see if I can find the othe # definitively.  Hope that is some additional help, and happy wrenching!! 
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 10:54:21 PM by Fireman »
    93 YJ -- "Mean Green"

• RioGrande95

• Turbocharged Weedeater
    • Admin
    • Post Whore
      • My Videos
    Re: YJ brake system upgrade...'95 in a '93
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 11:34:10 PM »
    Ah man, I just checked and I think I have the older brake booster :(  Well on the bright side, looks like I've got another budget mod to try out some time :driving
    I watched Jeepers Creepers once.  I didn't realize what it was until half way in.  The Jeeps never came.  The Jeeps never came!

• Tim

• Exalted Ruler of the Burger King Parking Lot
    • Got Welder?
    • DETOUR
      • DOME & DETOUR
    « Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:45:12 AM »
    good write up mike!
    that was a fun project with a few tense moments when trying to find adapters. we were fortunate to find what we needed. i think we hit three parts stores that usually have the good stuff. thanks to bob at national auto parts for calling his competition stores and finding what we needed even though he only had one adapter. (i bought myself a new wrench from bob with mikes moolah though, thanks bro... now i know why there wasn't a price tag)

i do have a couple of important things to add to mike's write-up....

we had to bench bleed the master cylinder. basically we installed the master cylinder into mean green and mike sat on the floor of the jeep and pumped the brakes as i kept the tubing ends submersed in a cup of fluid whilst refreshing the reservoir. very important and important too. you might say its "important...." anyways, a lot of old brown fluid cam out of the master cylinder and mike pumped all the old gunk out before we hooked the new lines up to the proportioning valve.

we used mikes original valve because the newer master cylinder came with one that had only two outlets, mr green needed three.

after getting that stuff hooked up mike sat on the floor of the jeep, Dome replenished and i cracked bleeders while we bled out all the lines and calipers. that was some shi-tay fluid mike.... it looked like aunt jamimas syrup in color. now it is all clean virginal brake fluid ready to be romped to death by mr. mike and mr. green...

great work us! we did a fine job!! we should get a raise or somfin!!!

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going
    Tim :)
    97 TJ

• kizer

• Its Deja Vu Time again
    • Forum Supporter
    • Post Whore
      • 2000 TJ
      • 1998 XJ
      • Links4Jeeps.com
    « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 11:56:30 AM »
    Front Page love. ;)

Nice Job guys. What you said about Van from Vanco is true. He knows his stuff.

• Fireman

• Wrencher
    « Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »
    Front Page love. ;)

Nice Job guys. What you said about Van from Vanco is true. He knows his stuff.
    Dude...that's what I'm talkin' about!!  Put a smile on my face when I logged in this morning.  I really am proud of the job we did...high quality work, stuff if just dialed in and working like a champ!  Now let's get out and wheel eh kizer??
    93 YJ -- "Mean Green"

• hutchman

• Site Moderator
    • Post Whore
    « Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 03:47:46 AM »
    Great write up!

Just wondering if that V8 is some kind of top secret new project from Fiat/Chrysler..........?   >:D
    N7GS

• Fireman

• Wrencher
    « Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 11:28:56 PM »
    Great write up!

Just wondering if that V8 is some kind of top secret new project from Fiat/Chrysler..........?   >:D
    Well, it should be...but sadly, no...just my secret project...funded by the overseas company of Mi Walletta.
    93 YJ -- "Mean Green"

wcjeep

• Parts Collector
    « Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 12:11:52 AM »
    Anyone try a TJ brake booster? Bought an 06' brake booster for my 93' YJ. Doesn't quite fit. Looking for ideas.

• Fireman

• Wrencher
    « Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 05:56:58 PM »
    Anyone try a TJ brake booster? Bought an 06' brake booster for my 93' YJ. Doesn't quite fit. Looking for ideas.
    Doesn't work.  You need a double diaphram booster from a '95, and the mount for the same.
    93 YJ -- "Mean Green"

wcjeep

• Parts Collector
    « Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 12:48:11 AM »
    We've figured out a few things since my post. Friend with 91' Auto cut 2" out of YJ standoff bracket. Welded back together. He reports increased brake power. He can now lock up the front 36"  SS Iroks. I'm going to cut/sleave/weld the TJ push rod. Needs to be 2" longer.

Yes, the 95' YJ is direct bolt on. However, I didn't know at the time. My 06' TJ diaphragm/booster was only $75 and it's in the garage. 

CrawlerYJ

• I'm New
      • 1993 Jeep YJ
    « Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 03:17:32 PM »
    I sent a PM to "Fireman" but anyone who knows where I can get the fittings "adapter" needed (shown in blue) I would be thankful. A direct hyper link would be great as I coldn't find the part numbers listed above.

Thanks
    '93 Jeep YJ*Ford 8.8 w/LSD & 4:10*D30 w/Aussie locker*33" Tires on 15x10*4" Suspension lift & 2" body lift

• Chief

• Wheel it if you got it.
    • Got Welder?
      • 2000 Tj Sport
    « Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
    I sent a PM to "Fireman" but anyone who knows where I can get the fittings "adapter" needed (shown in blue) I would be thankful. A direct hyper link would be great as I coldn't find the part numbers listed above.

Thanks

You should be able to find them at just about any parts store.
    It's my daily driver, If I roll it i'm screwed.

CrawlerYJ

• I'm New
      • 1993 Jeep YJ
    « Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 08:40:36 PM »
    Thanks for the quick reply. I was looking for the correct size to avoid going back and fourth to the auto store and "work" the internet to save time. One reason I love the forums.  8)

Another question?  :D

I found online at Napa for booster for a 1995. Dual diaphragm for $99. The complete kit (booster and master cylinder) only comes in single diaphragm. Do I use my stock '93 master cylinder or upgrade to the TG?

1995 Booster
    http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=NBB5473153_0239949117&An=599001+101995+50038+2038050
    1997 TJ Master cylinder
    http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=UBP390378_0069488468&An=599001+101997+50038+2038049
    or 1995 Wrangler
    http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=UBP390310_0069494263&An=599001+101995+50038+2038036
    « Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:49:38 PM by CrawlerYJ »
    '93 Jeep YJ*Ford 8.8 w/LSD & 4:10*D30 w/Aussie locker*33" Tires on 15x10*4" Suspension lift & 2" body lift

• Chief

• Wheel it if you got it.
    • Got Welder?
      • 2000 Tj Sport
    « Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 08:46:12 PM »
    Not sure on that one. Are you looking to upgrade like Fireman?
    It's my daily driver, If I roll it i'm screwed.

CrawlerYJ

• I'm New
      • 1993 Jeep YJ
    « Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 08:51:12 PM »
    Correct. I did the 8.8 w/disc and 33" and notice less stopping power.

If I buy the booster on the link supplied above, I need to know which MC I go with? Stock, 1995, or 1997? I know the booster is 1995.

Thanks for the quick replies.